A Profile of Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism of the Province:
Hamedan province with more than 3500 years of culture and civilization and 500 years of history was the capital in different historical periods. This province is limited in the north by Zanjan and Qazvin provinces and in the south by Lorestan, in the east by Markazi and in the west by Kermanshah and some parts of Kordestan province. Hamedan province has more than 256 registered mausoleums and Imamzadeh, including Imamzadeh Mohsen, Shahzadeh Hossein, Imamzadeh Hood and Azhar, Imamzadeh Yahya, Ghorban Tower, Alavian Dome, Imamzadeh Abdollah, Imamzadeh Ismail, Imamzadeh Ahl ibn Ali, Imamzadeh Khezr and etc. Hamedan was first mentioned in Assyrian scriptures in 1100 BC, and the city was named before as Amadaneh, Hamdana, Hegmataneh and Ekbatan.
Historically, Hamedan has relics which have been made several thousand years apart. Such as Gian historical Hill in Nahavand and Gurab in Malayer with more than 7000 years old to the 3000-year-old Noushijan citadel in Malayer, the 2700-year-old Hegmataneh historical Hill in Hamedan and 2500-year-old Ganjnameh inscriptions, one after the other, indicates that Hamedan can stand as one of the historical cities and important tourist destination for the incoming tourists to Iran.
The presence of the Mausoleum of Avicenna, Tomb of Baba Taher, Ma'r Razi-Al-Din Artemiani's tomb along with 35 tombs and mausoleums in Hamedan province can be considered as one of the major capacities for tourism development in this province. Among the tourist attractions of the province you can visit Hegmataneh historical site (Ancient city), Alavian Dome, Ghorban tower, tombs of Avicenna and Baba Taher, Ester and Mordecai shrine, historic bathes of Ghale and Haji, Jame' Mosque, Imamzadeh Mohsen, Ganjnameh inscriptions, Stony lion statue, Nooshijan citadel, Malayer Historical Market, Seleucid Temple, Giyan and Gamasyab headwaters, Haj Agha Torab bath in Nahavand, Mir Razi ol din Artimani Tomb, Sheikh Ali khan Zanganeh Theological School and other historical monuments of Hamedan. In addition to these relics, Samen and Arzanfood underground cities have also been able to place Hamedan in a special place of archeology.
The province was named as the capital of history and civilization of Iran in 2006 with the approval of the Islamic Consultative Assembly and this city is the gateway to culture and civilization.
Hamedan has 18 active museums including: Archaeological Museum, Stone Museum and Hegmataneh Historical Site Museum are considered as the largest and best museums in the province. Also, Museum of Avicenna Mausoleum, Malayer Museum of History and Culture (Historical Houses of Lotfaliyan and Mosadeqi), Museum of Haj Agha Torab Bath in Nahavand, Nahavand Museum of History and Culture, Nahavand Martyrs Museum, Museum of History and Culture of Tuyserkan (Massoudi House), Anthropology Museum of Ghale Bath, Museum of Natural History, Holy Defense Garden-Museum, Museum of Natural History and Anthropology of Islamic Azad University, Museum of Handicrafts and Museum of celebrities.
-Ecotourism in the tourism destination villages and tourism areas.
-Hamedan province has 20 tourism destinations and 28 tourism sample areas.
-The existence of 15 villages special for making handicraft in Hamedan province with high potentials of handicrafts.
In Hamedan province, handicrafts is expanded more than a machinery industry and its importance has long been evident. Although the colonialists have tried to prevent the development of these handicrafts and increase dependencies with the introduction of similar machine industries in Third World countries. The most important handicrafts are carpet weaving, pottery making, Giveh weaving, shoe making and leather tanning. Hamedan carpet weaving is famous in Iran and its fine textiles are exported abroad. Also different types of produced wares and utensils in addition to distribution in the province are exported abroad.
Hamedan province has 79 handicrafts that have received authentication certificates and 16 fields have been submitted to the secretariat of works registration for the registration of the intangibles. It should be noted that 7 fields of souvenir are also ready for registration. Hamedan province has 150 fields of handicrafts, of which 36 handmade handicrafts have been honored to receive national and international authenticity. 15 works of Hamedan handicrafts have UNESCO authenticity and 21 works have national authenticity.
Hamedan has ranked second in terms of the variety of handicrafts products in the country. Pottery making and pottery have been able to attract tourists to Laljin as the capital of Iranian pottery.
The history of this profession dates back 7000 years ago, and today there are more than 1700 active pottery workshops in Laljin, and several stores in this area offer the art of men and women of Laljin to tourists and visitors. Since the walnut trees grow mostly in cities of Malayer and Tuyserkan, it has been able to provide the desired capacity for the development of the furniture industry and woodcarving of Iran in this region, and now there are 8000 woodcarving workshops with more than 20 thousand people working in this field. According to the statistics, 60% of the country's furniture is produced in the city of Malayer, which in this respect Hamedan has the first ranking in the country.
Among the handicrafts fields in which artists are active are: pottery and ceramics, leather, wood carving, embossing on wood, cutting gemstones and semi-precious stones, Gelim (rug) weaving, basket weaving, manufacturing of industrial structures, seven-color inscription tiles, mosaic, tourism, scrimshaw copper, Gilding, illuminated manuscript, glazing, metal artifacts and carpet weaving.
1- Cultural Heritage:
- Institutionalization the research topic in different areas of cultural heritage.
- Identification and documentation of the cultural heritage (tangible and intangible), the natural heritage of traditional arts, handicrafts and tourism attractions of the country, and the classification of works and relics based on cultural, historical and natural values.
- Understanding the geographical scope, researching and finding the historical periods, introducing and supporting Iranian culture, art and civilization.
- Developing a management system for conservation and rescue of cultural and natural works (tangible and intangible) facing threats or in crisis conditions, and decaying traditional arts.
- Identification, introduction and support of the living human treasures, celebrities and creators of culture and art and civilization of Iran.
- Public promotion and education, and strengthening public organizations' participation.
- Establishment in the field of organizations and appropriate regulations adapted to new needs.
- Promoting the role of handicrafts in the national economy, job creation, reducing the deprivation of deprived areas and increasing livelihoods of local communities.
- Using modern methods of advertising, marketing and creating new advantages in order to meet the target markets.
-Developing handicrafts related infrastructures using the maximum participation of this sector's activists with priority of activities and areas with relative advantages.
- Development of basic-knowledge, skilled and accountable human resources in the public and nongovernmental sectors as well as private and local communities.
-Correcting the proper production methods and improving the competitiveness of handicraft products with the same domestic and foreign products.
- Participation and attraction of investors and handicraftsmen in order to promote the production and export of handicrafts in sustainable development and economics.
- Protection of intellectual property rights, material heritage, innovations and creators of handicrafts and revival of declining and outdated disciplines.
- Enhancing the non-governmental active sector in the field of handicrafts.
- Development of field studies in order to identify markets.
- Development of international tourism and the maximum attraction of foreign tourists.
- Development and organizing of domestic tourism.
- Providing required infrastructures and improving the quality of tourism services.
- Development and promotion of human resources productivity.
- Tourism Management.